In Berea, Kentucky, we enjoy live music and many traditional forms of community dance! On the fourth Saturday of every month except December, we hold a contra dance at the Russell Acton Folk Center. On the third Friday of most months we hold a smaller homestyle dance nearby. And we party!!
Contraire Dance Association (CDA) is a non-profit educational and cultural organization. The purpose of CDA is to introduce, promote, and advance traditional American contra, quadrille, and other social dance in Berea and surrounding areas. CDA is a member of the Country Dance and Song Society and supports the aims and goals of the CDSS. CDA is also a member group of the Berea Folk Circle Association.
Code of ConductContraire Dance Association promotes a lively dance style that can be elegant and, most importantly, fun! We strive to create a culture of safety, respect and consent. To support this we teach and promote appropriate and safe dancing. Anyone and everyone who would like to attend is welcome.
- Dancing too close or not respecting the personal space of others
- Rough dancing, such as using too much strength, forcing a turn or swinging too fast
- Dipping or lifting your partner without consent or consideration for others
- Rudeness such as ordering people, or pushing them into place
- Inappropriate touching or harassment of any sort (e.g. verbal, sexual)
Borrowed heavily from the Ottawa Contra Dance Code of Conduct
Steering Committee Members
You can identify us at dances by our bright light green buttons!